1 cup Sugar
1 cup Water
Fresh Grapefruit Juice
Create an infused simple syrup by heating cinnamon sticks, sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and let sit for at least 2 hours before straining into a clean glass bottle. To finish making the mix, add 1 part of the syrup to 2 parts fresh grapefruit juice. Cover and keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
1½ cups Blanched Almonds, preferably with the skin removed - coarsely chopped (slivered almonds are fine if you can’t find whole ones)
½ cup Peeled, Roughly Chopped Ginger
1 Tbsp. Whole Cloves
1 Tbsp. Whole Allspice
4 Star Anise Pods
Zest of 1 Lime
1 quart White Sugar
2 quarts Filtered Water
Large Glass Jar with Lid
Large Measuring Cup
Clean Glass Bottles
1. Place almonds in a large glass jar, cover with 1 quart of water and seal. Let sit, shaking occasionally, for 30 minutes. Strain the almonds, discarding the water and washing out the jar.
2. Roughly chop the almonds, place them back in the jar, cover with the remaining 1 quart of water and seal. Let sit, shaking occasionally for 4 hours or place in the refrigerator overnight.
3. Place the cloves, allspice and star anise in a large saucepan over medium heat, tossing frequently. After one minute, add the contents of the jar to the saucepan.
4. Add ginger and sugar to saucepan, stirring continuously. When mixture nears a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, clean the emptied glass jar.
5. Remove from heat and let cool. Once cool, add the lime zest and stir.
6. Pour the contents back into the cleaned glass jar, seal and refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours.
7. Strain through a double layer of cheesecloth into a large measuring cup. For every 5 ounces of syrup, add 1 ounce of rum. Stir well to integrate. Distribute into
fresh bottles, cap and refrigerate. Will keep for up to 2 weeks.
2 ¼ cups Raw, Sliced Almonds
3 ½ cups Tap Water
3 ½ cups Distilled Water
½ cup Cane Sugar
1 oz Vodka
¼ tsp Orange Blossom Water
1. Place 2¼ cups of raw sliced almonds in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Cover with tap water and let sit for 30 minutes. Strain, discarding the water.
2. In a food processor or blender, lightly pulse the almonds until they are coarsely ground. (You can also do this with a rolling pin—to reduce mess, put the almonds in a plastic bag first.)
3. Return the ground almonds to the bowl, cover with distilled water and soak for 4 to 5 hours, stirring the mixture well every hour or so. Strain liquid into a 1-liter glass jar through a cheesecloth-lined strainer, pressing to extract as much as possible. Discard the almonds.
4. Add ½ cup of cane sugar to the liquid, close the lid tightly and shake the jar vigorously, repeating several times over 15 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved.
5. Add 1 oz. of vodka and ¼ tsp. orange blossom water and stir thoroughly. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Makes 2 to 3 cups of syrup.